Broccoli and Beef Stir-Fry
from: Skinny Mom
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 3/4 lb uncooked lean trimmed sirloin beef, thinly sliced against the grain
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 6 oz white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
- 5 cups uncooked broccoli florets (about a 12 oz bag)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger root, minced
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- On a plate, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, salt and pepper. Add beef and toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick wok or large deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and stir-fry until lightly browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes
- Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Add ¼ cup broth to same pan; stir to loosen any bits of food on bottom of pan.
- Add broccoli. Cover and cook, tossing occasionally and sprinkling with a tablespoon water if needed. Cook until broccoli is almost crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, cover and cook, tossing occasionally.
- Uncover pan and add ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- In a cup, stir together water, soy sauce, remaining 1/4 cup broth and remaining 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch until blended. Stir into pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Return beef and accumulated juices to pan. Toss to coat, and serve hot over brown rice.
- One serving is ¼ stir fry recipe with ½ cup brown rice