Friday, February 1, 2019

Egg Rolls

This recipe is from my Friend Erin.  She is an amazing cook who I have always aspired to be like.  I have a little red recipe book she made called, Holiday Baking.  It makes me happy just looking at it. 

These egg rolls felt time consuming the first time I made them.  But now I feel like it goes so quickly and I LOVE cooking up a double batch and freezing them for my kids lunches.  When my children were toddlers they would not eat chicken nuggets but they LOVED egg rolls from Jack-in-the-box.  How did we ever figure that out????   It is a because they loved this recipe so we thought why not try em.  Nothing beats a homemade egg roll.





Egg Rolls
16-20 egg rolls


½ lb ground pork
½ tsp salt
1 tsp corn starch
4 cups of shredded Chinese cabbage  (I buy the bag of angel hair cabbage)
½ cup chopped mushrooms (canned or fresh mushrooms work)
½ cup chopped green onions
½ cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
½ tsp accent
1 Tbsp Sugar
¼ tsp pepper
16-20 egg roll wrappers

Combine and cook pork, salt, and corn starch.  Cool
Combine cabbage, mushrooms, and both types of onions.  Blanch in boiling water for 1 minute.  Immediately plunge into cold water.  Mix all ingredients together, added seasonings.  Toss to mix well.

Moisten edges of wrappers with paste mixture of 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons of water.  I often get lazy and just use water.  Most wrappers will stick together with just water.  The package the wrappers come in will tell you.  Place 1/3 of mixture into center of wrapper and fold edges in, sealing well.  You can double wrap if they see fragile or thin.  The wrappers I usually buy are not that thin.

Carefully place each egg roll into hot oil and cook for about 4 minutes, turning halfway through.  They may stick to the bottom, so use care when turning and removing from oil. 

Place them on a paper towel to drain the oil off. 
To keep them warm place in a warm oven while you finish cooking them.  Let cool for 5-10 minutes and eat.

To freeze, place them on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer.  Once they are frozen  put them in a Ziploc bag.  The kids wrap them in a paper towel and microwave for 1 minute to warm them for lunch. 


No comments: