Monday, April 25, 2011

Upside Down Lemon Meringue Pie

That isn't the original name of this pie   We changed the name because the crust is the meringue part.    I found this recipe from a blog called Your Home Based Mom.  The original name is Lemon Angel Pie.  This is an easy recipe and super light and yummy.  The Lemon Meringue part has whipping cream mixed in so it makes the pie super fluffy.  I imagine most everyone grew up not eating orange peels.  When I made my first recipe with a zested orange peel I was grossed out.  So I'm always game to leave out the zest.  I know many people think this makes the recipe.  This recipe I make all the time with out the lemon zest and it's great.  Just add a tsp more lemon juice. 
Another side note about the egg whites.  The first time I used 4 large eggs.  It made a big crust.  The next time I used 4 small and obviously the 4 small made a smaller crust.  I felt like the smaller crust fit the pie filling better.  The crust with the large eggs was spilling over the pan big time and the filling didn't fill the center of the pie all the way up.  So use 3 Large eggs or 4 small.
This pie is awesome when you want to make something ahead of time.


Upside-Down Lemon Meringue Pie

4 eggs, seperated (4 small or 3 large)
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups whipping cream.
Beat 4 egg whites beat until stiff, but not dry.  Gradually add 1 cup sugar and cream of tartar.    Spread on bottom and sides of buttered 9 inch pie pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
Cool.  The center will fall in and that is perfect.  You'll need a place to put the lemon filling.

Take egg yolks and beat slightly.  Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice and 1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind, 1/4 tsp. salt.  Cook until thickened in microwave for 4 minutes (stir every 30 seconds)  Cool.
Whip 2 cups whipping cream and fold 1/2 of whip cream into lemon mixture.  Pour into cooled meringue shell.  Top with the remaining whip cream.  Chill for 24 hours.

No comments: